Sunday 28 January 2007

Sunday 28 Jan 2008

I've not done very much in the way of commentary on my food this week, although I've got a couple of recipes noted down. Through the week it was mainly eating up frozen portions of stuff, and an uninspiring omelette on Tuesday evening when my parents decided they wanted to eat bacon and sausages (still, I suppose it's my fault for still having them in the freezer).

My main food discovery of the week has been pineapple. For years I've been convinced that I don't like it, but it's been recommended to me as a means of avoiding sore legs while marathon training. I can't remember the name of the chemical in it, but apparently it's in pineapple and papaya, so I decided to give pineapple juice a go as a post run rehydration/refuel/save the legs type drink, and realised I liked it. I followed that up with a tinned tropical fruit salad from Tesco with pineapple and papaya (double whammy!) and liked that too, so I guess that pineapples are go.

I've also come up with another trick for races. After the success of soup (then a second lunch) after my half marathon last weekend, I took the leftovers of last night's beetroot and squash salad to my cross country today. It really helped stave off the hunger pangs when I got in, allowing me to have a shower and cook some proper soup without diving straight into the jaffa cakes or toast. According to the nutritional info in the mag I adapted the salad from it was about 200 calories, and it was huge, far more filling than a Lucozade sport bar for a similar number of calories.

Today's soup wasn't the most inspiring I've ever made. It tasted a bit watery, I'm not sure whether that would be best dealt with by reducing the amount of water, or by using stock instead. It was edible, but nothing special.

I've now got to the meal of the week where I look at my leftovers and try to work out what to do with them. If in doubt, I tend to just roast the veg up and have it with packet nut roast. From the veg box I've got some broccoli, onions and potatoes, and from the extra stuff I bought to pad out some of the recipes I've got spinach, a little butternut squash and some parsnips. So I'm thinking nut roast with roast squash, parsnips and potatoes, and possibly some spinach and maybe even broccoli too, unless something more inspiring springs to mind during the course of the afternoon.

1 comment:

LMI said...

The chemical you're thinking of is bromelain--it's also in figs and kiwi fruit. I've always heard that the bromelain in pineapple isn't as effective if the pineapple isn't fresh and consumed within 24 hours of opening the plant up, but who knows? Fresh pineapple does have more of a bite to it . . . .