Sunday 21 January 2007

Sunday 21 January 2007

OK, I'm officially a freak. My stunning idea for using up the leftover veg (or most of it) was to get up early before my half marathon and make another batch of soup so that I could put some in a flask to warm me up at the end, and make up for only having frozen 2 portions of the parsnip soup from yesterday (as I usually get through 4 - 5 portions during the week I try to make at least that number of extra portions most weeks so that I've always got a decent selection to choose from in the freezer and a bit of leeway for weekends when I can't cook.

Actually, I lie. I made part of it last night. I chopped and softened the veg and then left them in the pan with the vegetable stock overnight, ready to be simmered for 15 minutes and blended this morning to cut down preparation time this morning. But still, I'm sure that some people would call this sort of behaviour rather obsessive.

I was meant to be going out for lunch after the race (and I might still eat, the soup won't go very far to replacing all those lost calories), but I wanted something hot right at the finish to take the edge off my hunger and warm me up a bit, and soup seemed to kill the heat bird and the excess veg bird with one stone.

No comments: