Friday 2 February 2007

Friday 2 February 2007

When I went to set up the veg box I excluded mushrooms. I was very close to excluding broccoli too, but I decided that I should try to like it. (I'm not sure why this theory doesn't also apply to mushrooms, but we'll fight one battle at a time). Since I started getting the box I've had broccoli every week. Maybe it's the time of year, but I really hope it stops soon. I am eating it, but I'm looking forward to a break.

I also get potatoes and onions every week, which I struggle to use up. I'm about two weeks behind on the potatoes as it is, and a new batch arrived yesterday. Again, I'm hoping that potato season comes to an end soon! I usually get carrots too, but at least I usually get through those without a problem.

Anyway, today I had to go home at lunchtime to let the alarm maintenance engineer in to service my alarm. What a fantastic opportunity to have something other than soup for lunch and to use some of those potatoes. Being a trying to be green, fitness freak type person I worked out that if I didn't want to take my car into work (which I didn't), it would take no longer to run home than to get the bus, and it would be better for me. I would run it more often to be honest, other than the faff of getting to the other end and my stuff being in the wrong place (unless I carry it, and I have far too much stuff for that, or unless I plan ahead even more than I do already). But because I knew I'd be going back into work there was no problem with running home, letting the bloke in, then going back for an afternoons work and to pick my bits up.

That's a long way of saying that I was pretty hungry (and pretty deserving of some food) by the time I got home. I decided to use some of the potatoes in tortilla. Apologies for the vagueness of the recipe, it was cobbled together from a couple of sources, and cooking time and quantities were based mainly on whether it looked right at various stages. I think my pan was too big (or the quantity of stuff was too small for it) because it was flatter than I was intending, but it tasted pretty good.

This evening it was the turn of the broccoli. I have started eating it whole from time to time, but today I decided to go back to the pureeing it approach to disguise the fact that it's in the box yet again. Gah. The "pesto" turned out pretty nice actually. I might actually look forward to getting broccoli one day.

No comments: